The key to the fight with coronavirus is a co-operation of whole communities. Inspired by the #StayHome campaign we have decided to try to encourage more people to participate in it through gamification. Besides who wouldn't like to kill COVID in his country?
What it does
The goal of the game is to kill the coronavirus in your country. All you have to do is to follow the #StayHome idea. To start the fight:
- you have to go to your place,
- you save the home location.
- initial health is set to the number of currently active cases in your country (the app uses real-time API),
- if you stay in your home (50 meters near saved home location) virus takes damage every given time interval,
- if you move more than 50 meters virus gains health (you may infect other people in real life).
The application can be run in the background, so do not worry you still can scroll meme portals or just block your phone in meantime.
How I built it
App has been developed react native framework, therefore the application is easily deployed to both Android and iOS.
Challenges I ran into
Running the virus in the background (without the need for an app to be open or even with blocked phone).
Accomplishments that I'm proud of
The most amazing thing about this app is that it makes your quarantine experience to be more like a game than a sad reality. The most important features which we’re proud of are:
- its main feature, which is verifying if the user stays in home, is supported! Even if the app is running in the background, so you don’t need to constantly check your phone,
- the initial health of the virus is based on your real location (the current number of coronavirus infections in your country),
- virus loses HP while you’re staying in a home and gains it’s when you’re going out (which is not the best choice right now, for real),
- you can kill the virus by staying in home, which will definitely make you feel better :)
What I learned
React native as this was our first react native project.
What's next for Covid killer
First, we want to deploy our app to Android and iOS stores. In our mind there is and idea to create more socializing activities, so players could fight common virus together. The player could invite his friends to the team. The team would fight their own virus together so their actions would affect one another. Results from all teams will be gathered together in the final ranking.
Try It out