A pandemic such as COVID-19 has the power to disrupt our daily routines. We overestimate our symptoms and go through a rollercoaster of feelings driven by the difficulty to find the right answers in a turbid sea of information. Mypandemic is a non-profit start-up that has developed an integrated platform that gives you the right advice in less that one minute based on your physical and emotional status. We partner with the most trustworthy organisations (such red cross or headspace) and connect you with them. Thus, we appeal to the community spirit and bring you the possibility to be part of something bigger by matching people in needs with passionate volunteers. We transform social hysteria to community help.
Research suggests that pandemics can lead to mass hysteria, where even though the threat of a virus is real, our brain can unwittingly make us believe that we have the symptoms or that the disease is more deadly than it actually is. In addition, the isolation is making people feel disconnected from the rest of the world, leading to mental health issues such as anxiety, loneliness, loss of productivity and decreased motivation.
What it does
Our non-profit app, Mypandemic is an integrated platform that: Makes a quick assessment of physical symptoms and feelings to give the right advice and prevent anxious people contacting hospitals. Helps people with mental health issues to feel better with the help of our partners (Therapists, volunteers calling, entertainment platforms, yoga videos…). It provides a platform for communities to come together and help each other doing small favors such as dog-walking and grocery shopping.
How we built it
We have worked in this project during this Hackathon from scratch. Our work during the weekend was the following:
- Concept development and business model
- Designing the prototype
- Preparing the textual and video pitch
- Implementing tips from the mentors
The solution’s impact on the crisis
- Enhance mental health and reduce anxiety by providing advice and solutions to face self-isolation.
- Avoids the collapse of health-care system telephone lines.
- Promotes volunteering activities within local communities.
Challenges we ran into
- Prototype design without any programming or UI Design background.
- Define our idea: business vs. non-profit solution
Accomplishments that we're proud of
- Creating a functional prototype of ou platform
- We have overcome the mentioned challenges.
- We had a lot of fun this weekend!
What we learned
- Adobe XD and UI Design
- Working online using different communication software
What's next for MyPandemic
- Funding for programming licenses (or a sponsor that gives it for free)
- Agreements with partners to form collaborations
The value of your solution after the crisis
- We have created an integrated platform to
- Connect various segments of the local community
- Imbibe the community spirit to feel connected to people with similar interests
- Help you if you have mental issues (e.g. winter depression…)
- Useful for future health crises and other epidemic situations.
Try It out