- Having to stay at home because of a virus outbreak can feel like not doing anything and can be downright boring
- So we thought, why not help keep our sanity with memes and achievements?
- We created teamHermit, a mobile app to encourage more people to stay at home and have fun doing it
What inspired us
- Though staying at home feels like not doing anything, it is actually the most important thing many of us can do right now to support our front-line workers globally.
- We wanted people to feel like they are contributing to a cause and have a little fun, even as they binge-watch Netflix in their pajamas while "working" from home
How it works
- Install the mobile app
- Save your home position
- Start your stay-at-home quarantine / social distancing marathon
- The app will then periodically check its location and make sure you are staying put!
- Unlock fun achievements and collect points that don't really matter
- Share your amazing stay-at-home stats on the leaderboards
How we built it
- Android, Node, Express, MongoDb, blood, sweat, tears, and memes
Challenges we faced
- From idea formulation to design to development, it was an extremely tight schedule and we all worked incredibly hard to deliver a "production-ready" app.
What we learned
- We learned how to collaborate well remotely and use technologies that we don't use in our day job (like MongoDB)
Ideas and plans for the future
- iOS app
- Invite and compete against friends directly
- Real rewards e.g. grocery and pharmacy cards
- Figure out how to pivot after this whole thing blows over
Try It out